Monday, December 13, 2010

PHILODENDRON MONSTERA, 129 N. ROSCOE

As a gardener, moving from Vermont to North Florida was a real learning experience. All of the plants that we loved in VT came here and melted in the Summer heat. Like almost every Yankee who has come here, I spent two or three years trying to get my old favorites to bloom or even to live. Finally I gave in and started looking and asking and found out what worked. (Don't plant tomatoes)


One of the other things that I learned is that plants we considered exotic tropical wonders were almost weeds down here. Our plant shops sold a lot of Philodendrons, the trailing kind and these P. Monstera. In VT they would get close to two feet tall in a perfect environment, warm and humid. Here in Florida, you put one in the ground and run away. I planted these 12 years ago and now they are well over 6' tall with a spread of double that.

No comments: