Thursday, August 25, 2011

Japanese flag 1, Jacksonville Beach

In one of his books, I think it was Looking at Photographs, John Szarkowski used a very spare, direct picture of a round tree in a field to illustrate how, sometimes, flying in the face of the rules of composition, works out. The tree was directly in the center of the rectangular frame. Szarkowski referred to it as a Japanese flag, as it was a circle in the middle of a rectangle. It struck me as a lovely picture and I liked the composition. Every now and then I see an opportunity to do the same.

4 comments:

Martina said...

Carleton E. Watkins' "Arbutus Menziesii Pursh".
Of course I had to look ;-)

Martina said...

I have to say something more because I forgot to activate the email follow-up ...
Have a nice weekend!

James Weekes said...

Thank you Martina. I had lost the book and now have the picture available. Oddly, I remember the tree as being smaller in the frame and the background as being lighter. Ahh, a 65 year old memory is not reliable.

We are off to your side of the pond to spend a month in Provence. I have a blog ready to go called Two Weekes in Provence (take that Peter Mayle) and will be putting posts there for the next month.

Martina said...

Aaah, Provence. This year we won't be there (would have been funny since every other year we spent about three weeks in September there) but in Italy. I do hope (no, I do know) you will have a wonderful time there - I know you have been there many times before, so you know this by yourselves! I am babbling. But Provence is .. very very very nice indeed.