Sunday, August 3, 2014

Andrew's scallops, Roscoe

Andrew Goldsby is a talented chef and restauranteur in Saignon, Provence, France. You will find many references to his restaurant, La Petite Cave, and his food, at my other blog, Two Weekes in Provence. He is also very generous with his recipes. Below the seared scallops is a cauliflower puree that he helped me with. I couldn't get them pureed the way his were and he told me to get a more powerful wand and spend more time pureeing. My children gave me a pro grade wand last Christmas and I had the texture. I boil or steam the cauliflower with a bunch of peeled garlic cloves. Then I add butter and/or soy margarine and some half and half, salt and pepper. This year, when we returned, Andrew's cauliflower tasted even better and he told me he added a pinch of curry. Voila, a vast improvement on perfection!

I just dusted the scallops with salt and pepper and seared them. I find, to my taste, that our Atlantic diver-caught scallops are a bit sweeter and meatier than the scallops (St. Jacques) in France.

2 comments:

Martina said...

Another duuuh for today: I never realised that scallops are the same as St.Jacques.
I love them. They are extremely expensive in Germany, though
But - I really can't imagine them together. with cauliflower. Hmm.

James Weekes said...

We'll, Germany is pretty landlocked isn't it? The further you are from the ocean the less demand there is for seafood and the transportation of a delicate item like scallops takes the price up faster. Sighhhh. Here they are plentiful and less expensive, and fresh.

The cauliflower, cooked this way loses a lot of the gassy cauliflower taste. The garlic makes it soft and buttery, and the wand makes it a smooth velvety texture . Do not try it with canned cauliflower:-)