Monday, January 11, 2016

Vegan Pantry baguette, Roscoe

I was given a book for Christmas  called The Homemade Vegan Pantry. It is a collection of recipes for vegans to make their own staples, meat and dairy free. I am not a vegan. Both of my daughters and my granddaughter are. I realize the health benefits of vegan eating but have an ingrained love of certain meats and dairy. I have changed many a habit. This is my first try making the baguette recipe from the book. It is very simple and basic. You mix flour (King Arthur bread flour is highly recommended.) salt, yeast and water and then let them sit for 12-24 hours, in a covered bowl. Then you turn the dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a baguette. Let it rise for another hour and then bake it for 30 minutes and this is the result. It was delicious, crusty, chewy and firm. I will make this many times again.

No comments: